Select Blinds Like a Pro
So you just bought a new home, or you are redecorating and you need to select blinds. You look in store or on-line and realize there are hundreds of options and your head begins swimming… Have no fear, I am going to break down how to select blinds like a pro in 5 easy steps!
Step 1 – Budget
Obviously, the bank account enters into any big decision and this one is no exception. Did you just get that big tax refund and are flush with cash? Or are you just trying to cover some windows on a tight budget? The answer will steer us in the right direction. When it comes to the basic categories of blinds/shades, I will list them by general cost, least to most expensive:
- Faux Wood / Wood Blinds –
- Great budget option
- Classic wood blind look
- Very functional
- Faux wood is more durable to moisture
- Wood costs more than faux options
- Custom options start about $70-$150 for a 36″ x 36″ window
- Honeycomb Blinds –
- Some of the most functional blinds sold today
- Top Down / Bottom Up functionality
- Great insulating factor
- Room Darkening option can make a room dark in the middle of the day
- Easy to install
- Custom options start about $75-$150 for a 36″ x 36″ window.
- Roller Shades –
- One of the most clean and stylish options available right now
- 100’s of colors and fabrics available
- Awesome new cordless options
- Great for covering large windows and rolling up small
- Light filtering or room darkening options available
- Custom options start about $110-$175 for a 36″ x 36″ window.
- Roman Shades –
- Fantastic traditional look, can incorporate any number of fabrics for a truly custom look.
- Available in corded and new cordless options
- Can really soften a room with an almost drapery look
- Custom options start about $130 – $500+ for a 36″ x 36″ window.
- Wood Shutters –
- The most classic farm house or southern estate look
- Extremely durable
- Hand made, truly “custom furniture for your windows”
- One of the most difficult products to install correctly, you may want to consult a professional
- Custom options start about $225 – $500 for a 36″ x 36″ window.
- Custom Draperies –
- Classic window covering, just like your grandma had!
- Limitless fabric, color, style options
- Truly hand crafted to fit your window and decor
- Modern power rod options even make this choice relevant in 2020
- Custom options start about $250 – $1000+ for a 36″ x 36″ window.
Step 2 – Function
This step to select blinds is easy, what are you looking for your blinds or shades to do for you?
- Durable blind on a Budget? – Faux Wood Blinds all day…
- Need to block light and heat in a sunny room? Want a shade that will not only pull up, but can drop down (like in a bathroom?) – Get a Honeycomb Blind and you’ll thank me later…
- Large window or beautiful view you don’t want to obstruct? Minimalist who loves clean lines, but want to find the perfect fabric to play off that new sofa? – Buy a Roller Shade
- Love the timeless plantation / farmhouse look and budget is not a huge issue? – Custom Wood Shutters will take your breath away
- Do you love the classic drapery or roman shade look? Have a custom rug or furniture you are looking to match? Are you independently wealthy and just don’t care about the cost? After you adopt me, you should consider Roman Shades or Custom Draperies!
Step 3 – Cord Safety
Cord and Control safety is a big deal these day. You can check out my other blog about Cord Safety Here. You can also read further on the Window Covering Safety Council’s website. The major decision here is do you have small children or pets in your home often? If you do, I highly suggest you consider cordless options only…
Cordless Blinds/Shades: Faux Wood Blinds, Honeycomb Blinds, Roller Shades, and Shutters are terrific options.
Corded / Cordloop Shades: Roman Shades and Draperies usually require this type of control.
Step 4 – Style
Are you a minimalist or into very classic lines? Do you prefer the warmth of wood or the softness of fabric? Is your living room farmhouse chic or does it belong in a French museum? Your style and space is one of a kind, so you must consider your individual taste when you select blinds.
Minimalist / Modern / Clean Lines – Roller Shades or Honeycomb Blinds will cover your windows, but won’t steal the show.
Classic / Luxurious / Timeless – Draperies, Roman Shades, or Plantation Shutters will make you feel like you’ve been transported back to the 1800’s.
Warmth of Wood Materials / Prefer Look of Hard Window Coverings / Neutral Palette – Plantation Shutters, Wood Blinds, or Faux Wood Blinds will do just the trick. You can always dress them up with a valance or cornice!
Softness Fabrics / Looking to Introduce Color and Texture – Roller Shades, Honeycomb Blinds, Roman Shades, or Draperies offer unlimited possibilities!
Step 5 – Ease of Installation
How handy are you? Is measuring a window and using a screw driver or drill scary? Blinds and Shades are not difficult to install if you are even a moderate DIY’er, but how difficult a certain product is to install should enter into the discussion when we select blinds for our home. For the sake of this discussion, I will group them into easy, moderate, and pro level installations…
Easy Install – Faux Wood Blinds, Wood Blinds, Honeycomb Blinds, Cordless Roller Shades
Moderate Install – Corded Roller Shades, Roman Shades (Cordless and Corded)
Pro Install – Custom Draperies, Custom Shutters
And there you have it. Follow these 5 steps and you will select blinds that will fit your style, taste, and budget! If you have questions give us a call at bestpriceblinds.com, we would be happy to discuss and make sure you make the perfect choice in window coverings!